Fall 2014 Schedule

This fall term I have contracted for the following classes at a local community college:

- A developmental algebra course. I haven't taught a course at this level in a year and am looking forward to getting back to the math teaching/life coaching dichotomy these classes require. The course uses PowerPoint files the utilize 'clickers', an online homework system, group activities, and group exams. I'm looking forward to trying to make the PowerPoints a bit more engaging. There's such an awful head space with them, I'm just unsure how best to use them.
- A college algebra course. Fairly straight-forward flipped-classroom model that I've taught a few times before. We've met once and they seem fairly young, and a bit disinterested, but I'm optimistic.
- A pre-statistics course that focuses on combinatorics, and some financial math. The assessments are fairly unique, nine quizzes and one final, and there is no textbook. Not sure if I'm looking forward to or loathing not having a resource to rely on. Might be a good time to prep my own book on the topic.

I have also been contracted to teach a culinary math class at a local (although corporate) culinary school. The course mainly covers in-the-kitchen topics, like conversions, yields, and plate costing. The course is fairly small (10 students) and they all seem to be fairly motivated. All of them have taken 3 kitchen basics classes, so I feel there won't be much 'weeding out' as in other math classes at this level. Some students did mention that they've covered some of the more advanced topics in the course in other classes, so I'm a bit unsure of the role of the course. If there is quite a bit of overlap, I am looking forward to getting the syllabi of the other courses and seeing where I can support their course objectives.

I will also be doing some after school tutoring for a few high school students, taking a class or two through Coursera (more on that later), and enjoying the married life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Thinking Classrooms: Planning for Winter 2024

Culinary Math and Visual Mnemonics