Mid-Summer catch-up: Accounting and presenting on BTC

 Lots of personal and professional things swirling in my world, and I thought I'd reflect on a few of them here. 

  • I am taking an accounting class through my institution. It is online and I just finished my first quiz with a 98%. Being a student I am noticing a few things;
    • I really appreciate the well-defined nature of the course. Reading the textbook, completing a few assignments, struggling through some ideas, and taking a quiz every two weeks. It feels very doable and I don't feel overwhelmed. I wonder about this in my own courses, where I have quite a few components and parts, and wonder if their utility in helping students understand math is discounted by student confusion about what to do and when. 
    • Being an educator it feels that I am trading my cognitive, social, and mathematical knowledge for money. That's the job, right? In accounting though it seems clear that you are trading a specific skill you have developed, like a craftsperson or an artisan. for money I know this might seem obvious, but it is refreshing to see a profession that doesn't have to consume your entire being.
    • I am taking the class because I am going to be the Treasurer for my kid's PTA next year. It has been helpful to use this specific example to put a lot of the accounting ideas in context. How am I going to record purchases for a fundraiser? What reports will I need to generate? 
    • While I could read a book about accounting, I am taking a class for a few reasons;
      • With my state employee benefits the tuition is only $5, along with paying for books. 
      • It gives me a  way to be accountable, and pushes me to sit down and do the work. 
      • I get to be a student again, something I loved. 
      • I also get to experience what students experience at my institution, and that is really helpful as an educator. 
  • Today I am heading to Kennewick Washington to present at the BEdA Biennial Conference on Building Thinking Classrooms. This is the first time I have been invited to speak at a conference and am looking forward to hearing how others outside the math community will react to BTC.
That's it. I still have quite a few summer plans, work I'd like to complete ahead of the next academic year. I'll be sure to share some of those ideas here as they happen. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Thinking Classrooms: Planning for Winter 2024

Planning for the Fall: Flipping my class and shadow grading